Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Chaos Theory

Chaos Theory: Chaos theory is the study of entirely random systems to see what patterns if any exist within so that predictions can be made in the future as to the regard of the impact of these systems (like the weather). Or it is a fantastic film starting Ryan Reynolds (who quickly is becoming my go to actor), this film tells the story of a man who lives his life efficiently with lists and goals for each and every day. Everything on his Agenda is timed to perfection. It isn't until something happens that throws first his schedule off by ten minutes and ends up rocking his world completely. The movie takes place around Ryan Reynolds telling his story to a groom who is having second thoughts about marrying his daughter. What he says at the end of the story is the summation for watching the film. He says (after explaining what chaos theory means) "there is nothing as chaotic and unpredictable as the human heart. The sheer changes that occur with excitement or sadness cause the heart to react with the amount of beats that is kicks out (all we really know is faster or slower). The heart because of it's emotional link to man is therefore the least unpredictable system in the world. The thing that will always make those emotional responses predictable and therefore the hearts reaction is Love. Human beings capacity to give and receive Love, the ability to forgive: betrayal, scorn, hurt will always exist within each of us."
I love that idea. As a matter of fact it assures me that God exists, breathes and moves among us. The capacity to Love I believe is not a learned human trait but much like our moral system comes from something much greater then us. Through the Love we have been shown creates in us this capacity. Essentially I have been led to believe that we Love with that which God has Loved on us with. And yet we still have a choice as to how we give and receive Love
I have become increasingly more aware of the presence of God with me all day every day. I think it was during a prayer where I was inviting God into our discussion or something like that, but it struck me that I did not need to invite God, just acknowledge that he was there and he was moving, not for His sake but for mine.
We think of God as a chaotic mystery that we take whatever bit of information that we have and yet we feel so distant. I think knowing who God is (holy and loving) factors greatly into understanding how we fit into the chaos that surrounds us. That the presence of God exists as we bear the image of our creator, through the community we share with the Son and with the Spirit moving within us and around us. I'll continue this thought through a couple of other things I've noticed in other arts I've experienced within the past two week, I just didn't want to write a huge smattering of words.

All I know Love as it turns out is not as Chaotic as it may seem.
At least those are all my thoughts at the time.

CJ-Out

No comments: